[06/17/15] Forum Update

Website/Group updates will be posted here.
Bibiquadium
Site Admin
Site Admin
Main: Makoto
PSN: Bibiquadium

[06/17/15] Forum Update

Postby Bibiquadium » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:33 am

June 17th Forum Update
What is it and why is it being done. The movie, the book.

As you may have realized, the forum has changed recently, mostly due to the fact that we've moved from phpBB 3.0.14 to 3.1.4 which I then updated to 3.1.5, does that have an impact on the forum? Probably not depending on how you are using this board but I'll at least explain what these changes mean.

The main reason of the update:
Moving from 3.0.x to 3.1.x introduced Extensions all while getting rid of Mods (main reason why it took me a while to actually update this thing), formerly running on Mods meant I had to modify multiple core files of the board to add content to it and adding too many could sometime mean that Mods would intersect one to another which would follow to forum error, site crashing, stability issues and so on. That being said, it held me back in adding further content to this forum and to work on some projects I've had in mind for a while. Enough about Mods, now let's talk about Extensions. Extensions are very similar to a Mod but instead of being inserted directly on the core of the board, they are loaded on the board from an external yet internal source (/ext/...), its pretty much loading a code that is within the same directory as its installation, therefore they all work individually. That being said, I have much less to worry about when adding content to Sankishin.

Things you may notice:
From a quick look, you may hardly notice any difference aside from small aesthetic changes (mainly because I'm not done yet with the transition).

List of changes:
  • Small User Interface Changes
  • Slight differences on chat functions
  • Forum has a mobile version that isn't Tapatalk!
  • Thread preview and latest reply with mouse hover
  • Added Google Analytics
  • Half-Life 3
  • Donations

I know its nothing spectacular but this is hardly on its second day and not over yet with transition. I may not always let you know about an update or a change so its up to you to find them out first! This concludes the current update status.

Regards,
Jon - Sankishin Web Admin ResidentSleeper

Bibiquadium
Site Admin
Site Admin
Main: Makoto
PSN: Bibiquadium

Re: [06/17/15] Forum Update

Postby Bibiquadium » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:02 pm

I've also updated our Tapatalk to the latest compatible version with phpBB 3.1.x, enjoy!

Return to “Updates”