Suggestions to improve the local scene 2016 edition

Got any suggestions? Feel free to share, we'll make sure to read them!
pochp
Administrator
Administrator

Suggestions to improve the local scene 2016 edition

Postby pochp » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi.

Today there was a bit of talk about various things we could do to improve the local scene, to cater more to everyone. Whether to make meetups more interesting to go to, solve the issue where people aren't sure about calling next, or anything else. Please make a detailed post with your suggestions, and please specify if there is also other things you'd like to help/contribute with as well.

PS : if you're asking for a specific thing to exist, make sure you look around for it first. Maybe it already exists, but isn't easy enough to find.

KHMxSpider
Intermediate
Main: BBCF: Hakumen/Mai
UNIEL: Chaos
GGXRDR: Sin
MBAACC: C-Roa
DFCI: Tatsuya
Blade Arcus: Fenrir
Koihime Enbu: Chouun
PSN: KHMxSpider

Re: Suggestions to improve the local scene 2016 edition

Postby KHMxSpider » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:44 am

I already wrote it on dustloop but, ill write it again i guess.

I would suggest PS4 owners to bring a controller. so that we dont have to always look around a ps4 stick for legacy controllers to work.

To Many games in one day, is a bit too much and we will end up

Fridays, i feel like a tournament every week is bit too much. i see players not having places to play casuals and learn/practice the game. id recommend biweekly or monthly so that we could actually have time to do some sparring and practice to prepare for the tournament. Not everyone is able to spend money every week to come to the venue and play.

Last time we did swiss rounds, it was pretty fun and great, we were able to play people at our level, and it helps a lot. if we could do more of that. that would be great.

i would like to encourage people to play the NEW BLOODS. bully them at first, then, coach them on what to do. this will actually help them and make them want come more often to learn. idk i often explain what my character does. lol. so they get less confused of what a character and not go like "wtf is this" but more like "oh right i see". kind of helps them to find a solution to certain situation by themselves in gaem.

I GUESS.

DaisyFan
Intermediate
Main: Platinum The trinity/ Cross-bone X2
PSN: DaisyFan or DaisyFanJP

Postby DaisyFan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Imo forcing people to only play one game for the night could be a little bit underwhelming for some. last time i was at MVA there was some empty setup of same games on PS3/PS4 if i do remember correctly, i do agree with Spider when it come to not everyone can able to spend money on every week for the venue. Having a option to make Biweekly or monthly could be reasonable enough for some. MVA is amazingly great, the staff are great and its a very friendly place by far imo so far. losing this venue could totally miss out our chance. those guys are very professional.

WOLFdizzle

Postby WOLFdizzle » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Spider pretty much gave the same thoughts I had regarding how tournaments could be handled (biweekly, it also gives people more time to train! :)) and how we could attract new people//train the less experienced players.

As for other suggestions regarding to level up people: I don't know if it would be a good idea but doing a mini game where we put our names in a jar and randomly select 2 people to do ft3/5/10 and other people could coach the players or w/e (we could even do sidebets! lawl). I think it could motivated some people that don't always play each other and could be fun!

I've addressed on discord that I wouldn't mind helping in the content creation. If anyone needs anything and if I'm able, I'm willing to help!

Thelo
PSN: TheloSolalto

Postby Thelo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:41 am

A big paper sign that just says: "Yes, you can call next."

DerQ
Intermediate

Postby DerQ » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:56 am

I think that regardless of where and what you think the scene needs, you can treat it as managing a team / business. It's very much the same, you're trying to incentivize people to do something better for X reason. Just quick reading on how to better manage a team gives pretty good insight on what should be valued :

http://www.inc.com/ilya-pozin/9-things- ... money.html

When I first wanted to prove myself, earning some forms of respect from people I thought were light years ahead of me meant a lot. Seeing the salty grand finals sets with Brice and Kirbster was a tradition that was damn hard not to want to be a part of. If you think you're ahead of someone on some aspect and you can highlight a positive feedback publicly to that person, tell them. A lot of this is uncharted proving grounds when you first start showing up, it means a lot to earn some of it.

A big shoutout to Scrubtrash lately who's been winning shit and hanging with our best at guilty gear. I still want to win a local against the people here and it hasn't happened yet, so for you to have done so recently is commendable to my eyes.

A big shoutout to them izayoi mirrors practicing Amazon and Dhaos. I can't rely on Dhaos dropping stuff anymore to win and Amazon has picked up a good part of the arc sys rhythm that he dreaded 2 years ago.

Keep that shit up

I'll try and recommend everyone to be a bit more transparent about all of this. This progress that everyone is doing is not only their concern if we want to incentivize more people to follow their path. By giving and weighing appropriate praise over weak "pat yourself on the back" motivation, "figure heads" are only showing that they will give that to any body who puts in the time and reaps benefits. It will make more people want to receive this respect

Kazuhiro

Postby Kazuhiro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:49 am

Like I said on Discord, I feel like it's hard to cater to everyone at the same time because it's two different approaches that coincides with each other. From what I’ve seen from community managers from other scenes is that you want to focus on growing the scene first. Then, once you are satisfied with the number of people you have in the scene, you transition into trying to improve that established core.

With the way we run things right now, I feel like it caters more to the latter which is good. We have free weekly tournaments for the core games, side tournaments and weekly “casual” meetups on Wednesdays. If I may suggest anything more to help bring more people into the scene it would be:

- More Round Robin/Swiss Round - For someone new, it's never fun to go 0-2 in tournament and then spend the rest of the tournament not doing much. Round Robin/Swiss gives the opportunity to newer players to play more matches and gain more tournament experience which is I believe much more encouraging for them.

- Continued Brackets - Once we have a bigger pool of players, transitioning to Continued Brackets (a 2nd single/double elimination bracket where all the people that went 0-2 can play in another small-scaled tournament) might not be a bad idea. It makes use of the unused setups when the main tournament is almost over and, again, makes newer players play more matches in a serious context with people closer to their skill level.

Once we think we have a good amount of players, we can try improving that core scene with:

- Important monthly / bi-weekly – An important tournament once or twice per month where the stakes are high can motivate players to perform better in the long run. Tournaments with entry fee and pot prizes is a good place to start with that.

- Seasonal Rankings – I know some people frown on these kind of things, but it’s been a part of the Smash community for quite a bit and it’s been working for them. Basically, a ranking system based on win/loss ratio each season. This can motivate players to beat the top ranked players and climb the ladder. As far as I know, this system creates hype/upset when a lesser ranked player manages to beat someone who’s up there.

- Organization of content – We are lucky that MVA can provide a really good stream setup but it would be even nicer if we could have a dedicated place where the tournament matches are stored and organized (MVA’s YT Channel or a new MTL Airdasher channel?). A place where the competitors can go back and watch their matches and to their mistakes without having to search for them too long is always nice.

I’m well aware that all of these can be tedious to manage alone, so I’m always willing to help. When BBCF comes out, Xrd will probably take a backseat for a lot of people and since I don’t plan on playing the game, I probably won’t mind helping with TO’ing and/or content organization. Just let me know how I can help.

KHMxSpider
Intermediate
Main: BBCF: Hakumen/Mai
UNIEL: Chaos
GGXRDR: Sin
MBAACC: C-Roa
DFCI: Tatsuya
Blade Arcus: Fenrir
Koihime Enbu: Chouun
PSN: KHMxSpider

Postby KHMxSpider » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:40 pm

now that we talked about a lot of these things we should start taking action now.
Reason why i went to ottawa to get some tournament exp lmao, since we didnt have any lately cuz canadacup, mat,nec,ceotaku, etc.

Also, i want tournaments to start again because everyone is playing blazblue but i barely have anyone to spare with for Xrd and my internet connection is shit, so my only way to get games is to actually travel. Which kind of makes me sad. Like sure theres scrubtrash,thelo,rhanmah who plays often, but thats like the only matchups im playing at mva right now. lol.

Shoutouts to the new blood that comes and actually get some games. ill try to make them play the others next time. i mean coming to a meetup just to play your friend that you always play is not really what you want to do.

what appealed to me a lot during ottawa's tournament was how well the tournament ran on Burningmeter instead of challonge. basically you could CLEARLY see the matches that should be played. You could seed and unseed players. also double jeopardy didn't happen (except if im wrong). bracket was great. good sht to bill for making that website and rikir/abenson for making the brackets for bb/gg at gonq. So for future tournament, if we could start running double elim tournament on burningmeter it would be great. i expect a lot of pairs-up that dont happen in casuals happen in tournament with burningmeter. which will give us more match-up knowledge and stuff.

knowing the player base, i would prefer if we run MONTHLY tournaments for now. a lot of people actually just to play casual. also run BOTH game. i would help run/host BB brackets if its double elim and Another thing i would love to see is set dates via FB event/discord/dustloop before the following month so that we know its a Monthly happening. also it can give opportunity to out of towners if they want to come or not. I remember ottawa coming over smashloft to get some games. it was fun and great. and that we have MVA, we actually have more space to welcome people.

PS: Kazu said he would help if we did BBCF tourneys, Make him come out of his cave Kappa

Return to “Suggestions”